NuffNang Header

Monday, September 27, 2010

Quick Fix: Smoothies and Shakes

Whenever, I need a quick fix of energy I always go for a smoothie or a shake.  Among the combinations that I go for are: apple and carrot, mango and carrot or mango and melon.  Sometimes, single fruit smoothies like banana, avocado or strawberry also works.  What I always ask is to add milk to the smoothie so that it tastes better and I also get my daily dose of calcium.

Here are my favorite juice bars in order of rating:

  1. Fruitas - Their shakes and smoothies are very affordable.  Best of all, no extra charge if you want them to add milk.  I usually go for the 16 ounce cup since there is about just a few pesos difference from the next smaller size.  I love their carrot combinations or sometimes plain carrot shake for me.  Downside, the carrot apple usually have a lot of sap left at the bottom since the carrot is not liquefied.
  2. Big Chill - Banana smoothie = Love.  This was actually the first item that got me hooked on shakes and smoothies.  They also offer avocado or strawberry if they are in season or available.  I sometimes also try their smoothies with yogurt, whey protein or lemon grass.  Downside, they charge extra even for the powdered milk which they already portioned in sachets.  I wonder if they would allow me to bring my own milk? (Now that doesn't sound right.  I mean milk that I bought from the grocery and I will bring to their store. Yeah, you get my point.)
  3. Juice Ave - you may not have heard of this joint but to me their shakes are quite good and with very unique names for their concoction like 180kph, Roxas Blvd, 5th Ave NY, Traffic, etc. Price is also very affordable.  Downside, not too many stores around,  I have visited their Glorietta and RP Galleria branches so far.
  4. Dizon Farms - They now also sell fruit shakes in the fruit section of Rustan's Makati.  Downside, what  happens to the fruits that are not sold?  C'mon give it a wild guess.
  5. Fruit Magic - Their Buko Pandan and bottled soya milk named Soy Magic (duh) are the only products I go for.  Downside, I find their shakes a little bit bland since they don't add syrup.  Also, no milk.  There is no room for creativity here so sometimes I would rather whip up my own smoothie at home.

Not really there yet - Zing Juice!  I tried their juice once and sad to say I was not made a fan of their product.  No zing! Nuff said.

Honorary mention:
Fuzion Smoothie Cafe, the smoothie is a bit pricey but then again they are really good.  Like Fruit Magic they also do not add syrup but the fruits are naturally sweet anyway.
Jonas Fruit Shake in Boracay - Great place and a great view to enjoy your fruit shake.  Downside, you can only have it in Boracay.  *SIGH*

No comments:

Post a Comment