NuffNang Header

Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Tsukiji Experience

One of the most wonderful places to eat in Makati is the Milky Way Building at the corner of Paseo De Roxas and Pasay Road.  It houses the restaurants El Cirkulo, Milky Way Café, Azuthai and Tsukiji.  While I have eaten at Milky Way and El Cirkulo ages ago, this week I had the honor of eating at this very good authentic Japanese restaurant.

Tsukiji is located at the 3rd floor of Milky Way and once I’ve stepped inside I immediately smelled the aroma of Japanese spices.  It’s like going back to Japan all over again.

First of was an appetizer of Aka Baku or Pickled Red Radish and Kimuchi a kind of Kimchi while sipping red wine.  The Aka Baku is a bit sweet and not at all overwhelmed by the vinegar.  The Kimuchi though is spicy but still slides down well to the throat.

A few minutes more and my favorite part came, which is the Sashimi.  There were seven kinds of sashimi in one big platter, which of course includes my favorite Tuna and Salmon sashimi in different varieties.  Here there are also squid, scallops and shrimp sashimi. Good fresh sashimi would almost as if it melts in your mouth.  Again this brought back memories of my Japan trip 3 years ago, as the Sashimi is so fresh and well made that you think that you only need to go to Japan to experience it.  I remember that when I was in Japan, the chef pleaded with us to finish the sashimi in the next hour or else they would lose their license.

Next off came the main course (and another bottle of red wine.)  Our gracious host treated us to Yakiniku (grilled meat.)  The trick is you have to grill the meat yourself according to your liking. But the best part is that the beef is a well-marbled Ohmi Wagyu Beef, which is already marinated, in their special sauce.  The slices are just about paper-thin but even if you grill it too long it doesn’t seem to burn up.  I knew that quite well because one of my companions forgot to turn his beef over.  Mukhang nakalimutan eh gusto ko na sanang kunin J

To compliment the beef we ordered Kani Salad.  (Yup no rice for that evening, parang diet ulit, yes!) Their Kani Salad is by far one of the best I’ve ever tasted.  Composed of shredded cabbage with crabmeat drenched in Japanese mayonnaise one order is too much that I wasn’t able to finish it all. Even the Japanese that I was with was quick to note that they used real crabmeat!  (So meron palang fake na crabmeat?)

At the end of this meal, we ordered Milky Way ice cream for dessert.  My two companions ordered avocado but I got intrigued and ordered their Atis (sugar apple) ice cream instead.  Wow! It does have Atis bits on it. 

For a nightcap, we were served some hot green tea.  But then again this means that this pleasant dining would have to come to an end.  So we called it a night as we give our final Kampai!  But after that I have to go back to the office and resume my quarter-end closing.  Did I just say that we finished two bottles of wine? Oh dear, hello headache galore.

Excuse me for the lack of pictures, as I was in General Manager mode when this splendid dining experience happened.  Can't be just snapping pictures of the food in front of my boss now wouldn't I? When I go back there it would have to be Blogger me instead.  To know more of what I am talking about, do check out www.tsukiji-restaurant.com.  They have an electronic version of the menu that looks exactly like the menu in the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment