NuffNang Header

Saturday, November 13, 2010

In Singapore - In Search of the Authentic Hainanese Chicken Rice

I arrived yesterday here at Singapore for a business meeting.  While here blogger me would be searching (again) for the Hainanese Chicken Rice.  I have first tasted this wonderful dish during my first visit 7 years ago.  At first, I figured what's the big fuss about this dish? It's steamed/boiled chicken with rice cooked in it's own broth. But when I tasted it I have become an instant fan.  There are restaurants that offer this dish in Manila but then again nothing compares to the traditional (and patient) way of cooking this dish.

During my flight coming here, Singapore Airlines got chicken in it's menu.  I was hoping it was chicken rice but it comes with pasta so I ordered the fried fish instead.  After arriving and checking late in the hotel, it was already too late and tiring to survey the area plus the fact that I already ate dinner during the flight so I settled to have a beer and some beef pie for midnight snack instead.

On my second day, I had lunch at the Fusionopolis in One-North.  I immediately asked my colleague if there is Chicken Rice being served at the food court and true to being unofficially being Singapore's national dish, there it was being sold with not just the steamed variety but with fried chicken too.  I am more traditional so I ordered the steamed set which cost SGD 4.50.





The set includes soup and petchay with garlic.  Of course for the dipping it would have to be chili sauce.  This version of the chicken rice didn't disappoint me but how I  wished that they have used a fattier chicken.  The rice has a different taste from the one I ate few years back but the local told me that it is because we are in fastfood so the meals are prepared in large batches.  The non set cost only SGD 3.00 but the chicken portion is smaller so the additonal cost was quite worth it.  Dinner with the group came later and if it included Chicken Rice I wouldn't mind eating it again.

Mission: Search for Hainanese Chicken Rice - COMPLETED!

 
Up next on Executive Lunch: Red House Seafood Restaurant at the Quayside.  Abangan!  This would be one yummy post.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite. Whenever we're back in Taiping, Malaysia (my inlaws hometown), we usually will order a whole chicken and a big bowl of the chilli dip. You'll love the one in Taiping. They don't treat the chicken rice as fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I will surely try it out when I get to visit Malaysia again.

    ReplyDelete