NuffNang Header

Monday, November 29, 2010

Versus the KFC Double Down

"Nice one KFC, Nice one."  As what the commercial says.  Well the KFC double down is not a new item on the menu (at least it is new in the Philippines, though.)  This particular "sandwich" has actually been launched  in the USA since April of this year.  It was first thought as an April Fools joke when it was announced that KFC would come out with what seems to be an unusual sandwich.

For those who are not familiar with this, here is the low down of what a double down is:
it's a sandwich of Cheese, Bacon and Mayo dressing (if that is not enough to raise your cholesterol level, wait it gets more interesting) these are actually sandwiched in between two original recipe fried chicken fillets.  Oh dear, I think KFC should start having people sign waivers before they eat it.  Well, since I am a food blogger I am very much up to any food challenges that come before me so I gave it a try.

I had my fix of the Double Down in KFC's Valero branch and when I first saw the meal I figured that I was cheated since it is smaller from how I see it on the television commercial. It's either that or the commercial models are really small people.  Or probably they used bigger breasts for the commercial.  (Don't they always?) That's chicken breasts I mean.


When I took my first bite my initial reaction is that it is a bit salty.  It's a good thing I ordered mashed potatoes  (bought it as a meal with fixin and drink) to balance it off and also to put some carbs into the meal.


Well, since the sandwich seems to be a bit salty, I always get this tingling sensation in my tongue.  And what do I do when this happens?  Eat ice cream of course!  And I was glad that I ordered a Holiday Krusher as well.  The Choco Peppermint Krusher is a good way to have a "balanced" meal (that's how I figured a balance meal is walang basagan ng trip.)  Next time I'll try the Black Forest Krusher as well.

Because of the size, I felt bitin after eating it.  Suggestion, get bigger chickens next time.

So here's a tip, when you get the double down order bread or macaroni salad or mashed potatoes or even rice if you like (ulam na to!)  You would need it to balance the saltiness of the double down and also to make you feel busog after the meal.  I will definitely try the double down again - if it is available that is.  I think I was one of those lucky to have ordered it.  The server had to check first if it is available when I ordered.  Word on the street is that others are not so lucky as it is always out of stock in some stores and it is on a limited release.

Here's my fantasy recipe for the Double Down.  Put in 3 strips of bacon, onion rings, mashed potatoes, cheese, cover it in Mayo, in between 2 Fried Chicken Fillet.  Add some gravy.  Wrap it in more bacon.  Dip it in a batter and fry it.  Smother with chocolate syrup and candy sprinkles.  And yeah, call it the Double Dead!

I wonder when the Fried Coke would reach the Philippines?  Anyways, I think Executive Lunch won that round with the Double Down.

2 comments:

  1. love this post! i also wanted to try this but never got around it yet...okay, mashed potato on the side it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one ronald. hehehe double dead. hehehe

    double down is best eaten with coleslaw

    ReplyDelete